In order to fully appreciate the scenic beauty of Tremosine, visitors must first cross the Brasa gorge, where the rock has been excavated and tormented by the stream for centuries. Once in Lis, the view opens up.
Tremosine is a town consisting of eighteen small hamlets, of which only one, Campione, is directly on the lake, while the others - Ariàs, Bassanega, Cadignano, Castone, Mezzema, Musio, Pregasio, Priezzo, Secastello, Sermerio, Sompriezzo, Ustecchio, Vesio, Villa, Voiandes, Voltino and Pieve (the chief town) – are scattered throughout the beautiful plateau. The Municipality of Tremosine is one of the largest in the province of Brescia, with its approx. 72 km² of extension. Set in the Alto Garda Bresciano Park, the landscape is quite varied, and the hamlets stand between small valleys, on
hummocks and low hills, in plains covered in olive groves, meadows and fir woods.
Tremosine can be reached also from Limone and Tignale, along the “Tignalga” road. There are many mule tracks that, gently ascending the slopes of the mountains, reach the high altitude areas in the locations that, up until 1918, marked the border with the Austro-Hungarian empire. Especially spectacular are the ones that from San Michele and Bondo lead to Tremalzo, towards Valle di Ledro. This creates a veritable haven for excursionists and for mountain-bikers, of all levels, even the most demanding.
The people of the plateau have a long-standing tradition as agricultural farmers and stock breeders, and the mountain witnessed the activity of a large number of “malghe” (mountain farms): Nota, Fobia, Molvìna, Ciàpa, Prato Lavino, Pra Pià, Ca da l’Era, Spiàs, Lorìna, Pùria, Pozza del Lupo, that produced excellent butter and cheeses. Once there was also a large number of smithies that produced tools and nails. Tourism became a primary industry in the Seventies, especially in the Bassanega and Voltino hamlets. Today accommodation is offered by about twenty hotels and holiday apartment houses, capable of accommodating a total of about one thousand guests. The most loyal tourists come from Germany, followed by the Swiss, the Belgians and the Austrians. The requirements of a “sports-oriented” kind of tourism explains the boom in tennis courts, now totalling more than sixty. Excursionism and trekking, mountain biking and, at Campione, windsurfing, kite-surfing and sailing, are the resort’s most popular sports
PIEVE IL CAPOLUOGO
Pieve stands at the top of a cliff excavated by the glacier. Lake Garda is located at 65 metres above sea level, while Pieve is at 423
m. a.s.l.. For centuries they have been connected by one of the world’s most beautiful pathways, called the “Sentiero del porto”
that is still capable of providing travellers with an absolutely breathtaking view as they are caressed by the lake breeze.
The ancient paving and the blackened stones of the side walls tell the tale of men and their barters, of the literally back-breaking transport of goods. Once at the top, the terrace that was reached by the cableway only in the late 19th century reconciles one with the surrounding haven.
Up and down, down and up, first to reach the port almost hidden at the feet of the little valley, and then on to the cotton factory in Campione, that provided a job for hundreds of workers. Up and down also to reach the mountain areas, to cut grass for the animals, to gather wood for the fireplace and for the “calchéra” and the “poiàt”. Not to mention for hunting, for reaching
the stalls, the inn, etc.
Pieve still experiences this dimension set between lake and sky, while Mount Baldo, the majestic mountain
standing on the opposite shore (province of Verona), keeps faithful and silent watch. At dusk, when the plain beyond turns fire red,
the cluster of houses around the Castèl and the church welcomes you to its narrow and protective lanes.
SAN GIOVANNI BATTISTA CHURCH
In the 8th-9th century A.D. a chapel stood on this site, later replaced by the Romanesque parish church dedicated to Saint Mary and mentioned in a 1186 bull of pope Urban III.
From that time only the bell tower and a few walls of the rectory remain after its demolition in around 1570 for the construction of a new church dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
In addition to the altars it contains veritable artistic master pieces such as the chancel of the presbytery and the wooden highbacked chairs and bench of the sacristy, sculpted in the early 18th century by Giacomo Luchini.